Side Notes is a monthly wrap up where I share the interesting, and incredibly inspiring things I found during the month that I couldn’t fit in any post. Expect awesome recs, awesome books and awesome bloggers.
Also expect: fangirling (lots of it) and a glimpse into my life — the happy, the chaos and all.
You know how I said in the September Side Notes that the second half of September brought in lots of good stuff?
I’m happy to say that it continued on to October!
(cue happy dance)
It wasn’t all rainbow and sunshine and unicorns, of course. There were definitely sucky moments. But all of those were offset by the amazing things that October brought 🙂
In the Blogosphere
For this month’s Blogger Feature, I wanted to highlight on October posts about mental health awareness. It was thanks to Twitter and mental health advocates online that I was able to better understand what people with mental health issues and illnesses are going through.
Imagine that. One girl has further educated herself just by scrolling through her phone! Can you imagine if mental health was deeply discussed in primary and secondary education in the same way that, say, fever and common cold is??
Brittany lists down reasons to add gratitude into your life. And she sourced some awesome studies related to gratitude, too!
The Gaming Diaries shared her personal experience with mental health for World Mental Health Day.
Victoria talked about oversharing, the stigma surrounding mental health and why we need to speak about it regardless of what others say.
I’m all for learning about things that other people go through everyday. Which is why I find this post by Megan on Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida Awareness Week super informative!
Alison listed down seven powerful ideas to stop overthinking and I’m taking down notes!
Louise shared some great self-care ideas to fight depression and it’s a must-read.
Rachel wrote her experience on Craniosacral Therapy, a gentle therapy great for people of all ages. Which I’m itching to try out now after feeling relaxed just reading her post!
The Awesome Side of the Internet
Yes, yes. I know. The Internet can be a jerk sometimes. But it is also filled with authentic and incredibly inspiring human stories. I always believe it only takes one kind heart for other kindness to join in 🙂
<3 This flawless white duck is the epitome of perfection. Don’t fight me.
<3 Billie Eilish’s new song, when the party’s over, is eerie and beautiful. I LOVE IT.
<3 shreyadoodles on Instagram has wholesome and funny comics!
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Whenever I think of Halloween, I think of witches. And there are certainly tons of awesome witches in shows and films but Kiki takes the cake for me.
This film is about Kiki, a young witch who left the safety of her childhood home to set out and start her witch training in the outside world. She met lots of friends and faced equal amounts of obstacles along the way. Of the obstacles she was going through, it was the inner obstacle she faced that deeply resonated with me.
Run by two amazing women, ScreenPrism is an amazing channel if you like to watch video essays about your favorite films. They tackle on every film brilliantly, pointing out what’s good and what’s bad about it – but they are never overly critical, something I dislike about other similar channels. They even have a beautiful analysis on Kiki’s Delivery Service, likening Kiki to a typical Millennial Creative. Watch it; it’s awesome.
Little Victories – Kickass Stuff that Happened This Month
- I made new blogging friends, ahhh! (Shoutout to the awesome Lavrax, who has finished Blogtober and just downright rocks!)
- Gained 600 followers on Twitter (what what???) and I’ve finally stepped in to the three-digit realm in Instagram with a current 100+ followers!
- I scored well on the midterm exam of the most difficult subject I have this year, and I couldn’t be happier!!
- Finally did a few art this month, yay!
Little Detours – What Kicked My Ass This Month
(because we’re not perfect, and it’s good to share your awful moments)
- Got incredibly sick for two weeks.
- Midterms week.
- Didn’t reach my Inktober goals this year (I was aiming for at least 20 drawings but nope, only got around 10)
- Have gotten behind my content writing (see reason: first bullet)
- I still haven’t repotted Watson’s babies.
Little Milestones – Things I Want to Achieve or Do Next Month
(because according to Gretchen Rubin’s Four Tendencies, I am an Obliger and I need outside accountability to reach personal goals)
- Finish my November post line-up before the end of the first week and get started on probably half of December posts
- Send out 5 guest post pitches to bloggers in my focus topics (personal growth and creativity)
- This isn’t exactly a milestone but I want to pass all my subjects this year. I’m adamant on graduating, okay?
Last Month’s Self-Improvement Challenge
Read a chapter of a nonfiction book a day. Okay, so I was well into this. Until midterms week happened and Accounting books were all I’ve read for the rest of the month. And then I got a cold for two weeks so… this didn’t happen. I really enjoyed Grit by Angela Duckworth, though and I can’t wait to get back into it!
Next Month’s Self-Improvement Challenge
Eat a fruit once a day. All these long sick days lately suck! I’m aiming for being super healthy for the last two months of the year. Remember to make your health a priority, friend! <3
Oh! And before I forget!
You’ve probably noticed it but…
I’VE GONE SELF-HOSTED!!
I’ve moved all my followers from my previous site over here and have also enabled site redirect. I reckon that’s enough time for my blog to fully transition into being self-hosted. It’s been a stressful week but I’m also really loving all the new functions and features I haven’t been able to access before!
I may write an entire post on why I changed but the gist of it is this:
I feel like my smol blog is ready for it. All The Trinkets has been with me as I embarked on changes and new journeys in my life. This is just another one of them. I’m super excited with what the year ahead has in store for this tiny space that is my virtual home, and I hope you come along with me in this journey too <3
The Bit of Changes that Will Happen in the Coming Weeks
There aren’t really any huge changes you will notice. I still post every Wednesday plus the Side Notes at the end of the month. I don’t really want to change theme or the blog’s look at the moment because I know that’s an whole ‘nother math problem to go through.
Here’s what you can expect though:
- I will be setting up an email list. This is mainly for my non-blogger readers who subscribe via email. (I see you! Come say hi!) I’m still figuring out if I could do the whole Follow By Email thingy that you can on WordPress.com. But yeah, there will be a subscription of sort for my non-blogger readers.
- There will be social sharing buttons on posts. This one I’m still figuring out. But I want to look for a plugin with the option to hide the social sharing button, if you want to. I go to some blogs that have their social share blocking the posts and I can’t hide it and it is NOT a fun reading experience, let me tell you.
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
How was your October? Are your blog going through big changes at the moment? Is there a goal you want to reach next month? Let me cheer you on!
Photo by Ivory Mix